Thursday, September 16, 2010

Turn the Other Cheek

Introduction: 
You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
Matthew 5:38-42, NIV 

Stance Summary: 
I think the text means exactly what it says, but with an understood reservation in favour of those obviously exceptional cases which every hearer would naturally assume to be exceptions without being told. 
CS Lewis (1940, The Weight of Glory - Why I am not a Pacifist)

I agree with Lewis on this one, there are times where we have to use violence in order to follow the other commandments and live out our life.  Even Christ used aggression when cleaning the temple of the people who tainted it.  Like Lewis says in the same address, if it's between you and another person, be the better man and let him be.  But as soon as another person enters it, the whole paradigm changes.  As I say on my facebook page:
Course, I'm no pacifist, the moment you use force to get something from someone else, I'll be all over you like I was all over that spider and flying bug thing earlier today. ... They got the shoe to the face technique, just so you know.


Personal Actions Based on Stance:  
Expansion:
Sources:

Closing:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment